JOURNEY artisan soaps & candles, Candle Care - Soy Candle Hints & Tips
I know Chandlers (that's fancy talk for Candlemakers) bang on about burning your candles safely, and trimming your wicks, but there is good reason for that. It's because we've made your candle after loads of testing, and for you to get the best experience, there are always hints and tips (that's code for RULES people), that you should (again, code for MUST) follow!!!
So here they are:
- When lighting your JOURNEY Artisan Soy Candle for the first time, do not extinguish the candle until the wax melts across entire surface to the sides of glassware (this will help prevent tunnelling and creates an even burn for the duration of the candle’s ‘life’) Depending on your environment, this may take anywhere from 2-4 hours.
- Trim the wick to 5 mm before each burn. (the MOST IMPORTANT TIP of all!!) This will promote an even burn, steady flame and will help limit sooting/mushrooming of wick.
- If soot forms on the inside of your glassware, simply extinguish your candle and wait for it to cool. Then wipe with a clean damp cloth or paper towel. Trim the wick and relight.
- Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times.
- Always extinguish your JOURNEY Artisan Soy Candle with a snuffer, or dip the wick into melted wax. Do not blow out the flame.
- Eliminate draughts from your environment where possible. Draughts decrease burn time, cause uneven burning, increased smoking and diminish scent throw.
- An efficient burn is evident when your flame is not flickering, is teardrop shaped and standing upright.
- If your candle begins to smoke, flicker or the candle flame becomes too high; extinguish your candle at once. These signs indicate the candle is not burning properly and the flame isn't controlled. Let your candle cool, trim the wick, then check for draughts before re-lighting.
- Maximise your scent throw by keeping windows and doors closed. For maximum fragrance keep your environment closed up, light your candle and burn in desired space for 30 mins before entering.
- Always store your JOURNEY Artisan Soy Candle in a cool, dark and dry place.
- Avoid placing your JOURNEY Artisan Soy Candle where it will be directly exposed to sunlight or harsh indoor lighting, such as a spotlights. Exposure to these may cause discolouring of your candle.