White Sage Smudge Sticks, Hand-gathered California White Sage Sticks
- Regular price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Unit price
White Sage (also called Sacred Sage) leaves are widely used as a cleansing herb, to purify the mind, body and also the atmosphere to dispel and banish negativity.
White Sage is perfect for purifying sacred items as brings healing and spirituality. You can also cleanse your crystals with White Sage.
Smudging is the common name given to a powerful cleansing technique from the Native North American Tradition. Our Indigenous Australians also have a rich history that includes using smoke in ceremonies.
We have 3 sizes of smudge sticks and they're hand-rolled, high quality Organic White Sage leaf. White Sage is the most sacred of all the smudging herbs.
We are also growing our own White Sage. If you would like to purchase straight from our garden - check out our White Sage Clusters.
If you don't like the idea of burning things - check out my White Sage Smudge Spray.
Sage emits negative ions; just as a waterfall or running water, emits the same thing. (This is why, when people are near running water, they always feel cleaner, or just 'better' for seemingly no reason at all. But there is a deeper reason.)
Our aura holds positive ions, much like a carpet that when you walk across, creates static electricity. Only, these positive ions are like dust in our aura, simply leaving us feeling sluggish, tired, or just not our usual energetic self.
The smoke from the sage meets the positive ions, clings to them and neutralizes them out of our aura, or from the room or house where you live or work.
You can tell how 'bad' it is by the quality of the smoke the smudge stick emits: thin, light smoke indicates the place or person is fairly clean.
Smudging can be an elaborate affair, or it can be something simple. There are no rules about how much you can smudge. It's all up to you..
What you will need to smudge your house:
- A Smudge Stick;
- Candle & matches (we have you covered there!);
- A fireproof container; and
- A bowl with sand (to extinguish the smudge stick after smudging).
Just before you begin, open up a window for ventilation and then place the herb bundle onto your heat-fire-proof surface. Light it with your candle, and then gently blow out the flame, allowing the material to smolder. Focus your energy on the smoke. If a true flame appears, shake the bundle slightly, or blow on it until it turns to embers and smoke (like when you're lighting incense). You may need to re-light the bundle a few times during the smudging process.
Once you have a good amount of smoke going, use your hand or a feather to direct it over your body, moving from your feet all the way up to your head and back again, staying connected to your breathing throughout the session. You may also want to visualize the smoke removing negative energy from your life and home.
If you feel comfortable, an incantation can add some ritual. You can also repeat the following incantation:
“Air, fire, water, earth. Cleanse, dismiss, dispel.”
Now you’re ready to smudge your home.
- Move around your house, starting at your front door. Gently wave the smoke into your air, focusing especially on the corners of each room, as they’re said to accumulate the most stagnant energy. The entire time, visualise the smoke clearing negative energy, waving the smudge wand up and down as the smoke fills the area.
- Don’t forget about closed spaces, like closets and cabinets – open their doors and carefully smudge the inside too. Be sure to smudge all rooms, including your shed, laundry etc. When you reach each doorway, ask that the room be sealed and protected from this point on while you smudge the outline of the doorway, passing through it to keep any more energy from passing while you conduct the clearing.
- Move directly into the next room following either the floor layout along the walls. Remember to pass the wand over the edges of each window and door as you continue through each room of the house or workspace. In order for the smudging ceremony to be most effective, the smoke needs to cover every room, closet, door, vent, and window. The idea is to walk to each entrance, clearing every room so that you’re pushing all the negative energy out toward the front entrance. Since you want all of the negative energy to leave your home, think of it as trying to direct a fly outside your door.
- Once you’ve smudged your whole house, allow the herb bundle to burn out. You may want to bury the remaining smudge in your garden, as a sign of completing the ritual.
Other times when smudging might be of assistance:
- Restless sleep,
- arguments or disagreements,
- illnesses, headaches,
- visits from undesired guests,
- Starting a new business
Here are some related products:
- A spiritual addition to your meditation/rituals are our abalone shells. Use them to catch the white sage embers.”
- While you're here, why don't you check out our entire White Sage Collection!
Smudging Safely: (please read)
- Make sure the area you are smudging is well ventilated. This is a health precaution, as well as a spiritually practical one as well, as the negative energy will need an "escape route".
- Smoke from herbs can lead to allergic reactions or trigger asthma or other forms of respiratory distress in sensitive persons.
- Do not use near infants or very young children or people with respiratory problems such as asthma.
- Do not begin using smudge if you are pregnant.
- Lighting herbs will leave you with embers. Use a heatproof container to catch them. Lots of people use abalone shells, but you could even use a pyrex bowl. That’s up to you.
- Never leave burning smudge unattended.
- Place some sand or soil or even salt in the bottom of the container to provide insulation as otherwise the container could scorch a surface it is placed upon.
Amazing. Love my angel cards and my sage stick. Will definitely be purchasing from this website again !